Acceptable Pattern of experience

Hi I am an old grad of 2011. My house job is in surgery for 1 year. After this, I have gap of 5 year.i prepared for usmle and gave step 1 and 2 but couldn’t get us visa.Now I am doing residency in radiation oncology and now in 4th year. I have rotation in general medicine during my oncology training. WillI be able to get GMC registration with this postgraduate experience and if not what should I do to get gmc registration. I know this is complex but your guidance will be very helpful.i will be grateful if you can answer my question in detail. Thank you

Hello @dr_ilyas!

It looks like you’ll be eligible to get GMC registered by the USMLE route, as it seems that you passed the Steps before 2020. You have to pass an English proficiency exam also, just like IELTS or OET.

You can read more about it here .

Regarding the after registration pathway, I’m sure this article will help.

Good luck on your journey and best wishes! :sunny:

But i haven’t taken cs and now cs is cancelled permanently.what are options now??i have done plab1 and now should i proceed for plab 2 and wait for answer from gmc about registration or should i apply for ukfpo?

Hi @dr_ilyas, :sunny:

I presume that by “cs” you mean the “clinical skills” part of the Step 2 USMLE, right?

If you haven’t passed all the parts of the USMLE, the other option is PLAB. You’ll need both parts (1& 2) to get full GMC registration. Kindly take a look over this blog article to explore your options.

Because you’ve already finished your internship, you are not eligible for UKFP. For career development personalized for your level of experience, please check the second link I mentioned in the last post.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to ask us if you have any other concerns. :blush:

I dont have acceptable pattern of internship… thats why i am confused . What should i do?should i take plab2 and apply for gmc registration??

Hi again,

Apologies for not in understanding the full extent of the situation.

If you don’t have an acceptable pattern of internship, the only way is to apply for the UKFP or complete one in your home/ any other country.

As there is a gap of more than two years, you’ll have to attend a Clinical Assessment also, besides both PLAB 1& 2 (for provisional reg). Check the eligibility criteria for the UKFP.

However, by taking into account the fact that you have a few years of experience back home, the best thing is to ask directly to the GMC and the UKFP as you might be overqualified and it’s best to be sure before proceeding with the PLAB 2 exam.

Apologies for not being able to better assist your query.

1 Like