Does standalone accept general training IELTS?

I read on standalone FAQ it refered me the appendix 4 of the application guidance which did not specify which IETLS. It also referred me to English language eligibility FAQs under which it says valid academic or GT IETLS
So I booked a GT IETLS and got the score
Only now to find out under standalone eligibility for English language where it says Academic.
I’m confused and I don’t want to incure the cost of another IETLS

Hi there!

As far as I know, there are only 4 ways to show your English proficiency:

1. By having a proof of your primary medical qualification was undertaken in English;
  2. Only IELTS Academic is accepted and you must get at least 7.5 in each domain (speaking, writing, listening and reading);
  3. OET certificate showing a minimum score of 400 in each of those 4 domains;
  4. Proof that you have completed a minimum of 3 months paid employment as a doctor in the NHS. Although for that you’ll need GMC registration for which you’ll have to provide evidence of English proficiency too. GMC’s criteria

Hope it was helpful! :hugs:

1 Like

IELTS General Training, unfortunately, will not be accepted at any step of your UK journey of becoming a doctor. It always has to be IELTS Academic.

Required scores:

• For UKFP or FY2 standalone: 7.5 in all modules.
  • For PLAB 1 and GMC registration: 7.5 overall (but no less than 7.0 in any module).
1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
I already am GMC registered.
I read the UKFPO and GT IETLS is acceptable that’s why I took it.

Should I talk to them about it or should I just take the loss and take an academic?

This is what they said in the English requirement FAQ:

A valid general, academic or UKVI IELTS certificate with a minimum score of 7.5 in each domain and achieved in one sitting (speaking, listening, reading and writing).

UKVI IELTS is not General training IELTS.

IELTS UKVI can be:

• IELTS UKVI Academic : which is for test takers wishing to study at undergraduate or postgraduate levels, and for those seeking professional registration in the UK. this is for you
  • IELTS UKVI General Training : which is for for test takers wishing to migrate to the UK and for those wishing to train or study below degree level.

I don’t think they will take general training IELTS. But there is no harm sending them an email asking first before taking another test.

1 Like

The IELTS Academic Test measures your proficiency in the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking, and is used to assess your ability to communicate effectively in an academic setting. It is usually required for admission to universities and other higher education institutions in English-speaking countries.

If you are unsure about whether or not you meet the English language requirements for a specific program or application, you can contact the institution or organization directly to ask for clarification. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information on their English language requirements.

It’s important to understand the requirements and not incur the cost of taking another IETLS if you already meet the requirements.