Does standalone accept general training IELTS?

I read on standalone FAQ it refered me the appendix 4 of the application guidance which did not specify which IETLS. It also referred me to English language eligibility FAQs under which it says valid academic or GT IETLS
So I booked a GT IETLS and got the score
Only now to find out under standalone eligibility for English language where it says Academic.
I’m confused and I don’t want to incure the cost of another IETLS

Hi there!

As far as I know, there are only 4 ways to show your English proficiency:

1. By having a proof of your primary medical qualification was undertaken in English;
  2. Only IELTS Academic is accepted and you must get at least 7.5 in each domain (speaking, writing, listening and reading);
  3. OET certificate showing a minimum score of 400 in each of those 4 domains;
  4. Proof that you have completed a minimum of 3 months paid employment as a doctor in the NHS. Although for that you’ll need GMC registration for which you’ll have to provide evidence of English proficiency too. GMC’s criteria

Hope it was helpful! :hugs:

1 Like

IELTS General Training, unfortunately, will not be accepted at any step of your UK journey of becoming a doctor. It always has to be IELTS Academic.

Required scores:

• For UKFP or FY2 standalone: 7.5 in all modules.
  • For PLAB 1 and GMC registration: 7.5 overall (but no less than 7.0 in any module).
1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
I already am GMC registered.
I read the UKFPO and GT IETLS is acceptable that’s why I took it.

Should I talk to them about it or should I just take the loss and take an academic?

This is what they said in the English requirement FAQ:

A valid general, academic or UKVI IELTS certificate with a minimum score of 7.5 in each domain and achieved in one sitting (speaking, listening, reading and writing).

UKVI IELTS is not General training IELTS.

IELTS UKVI can be:

• IELTS UKVI Academic : which is for test takers wishing to study at undergraduate or postgraduate levels, and for those seeking professional registration in the UK. this is for you
  • IELTS UKVI General Training : which is for for test takers wishing to migrate to the UK and for those wishing to train or study below degree level.

I don’t think they will take general training IELTS. But there is no harm sending them an email asking first before taking another test.

1 Like