GMC registration: is plab the only way to?

To be doctors in Uk for sure we need to get GMC registration, but is plab the only way to do it? That question one of the main one I used to hear about from other colleagues & friends who are interested in being doc in UK, and as I’m someone who’s have no problem with plab I’m focusing on it only. So I need some help about It to be to answer anyone interested🙏🏼

4 Likes

No, PLAB is not the only way to get a GMC registration.
There are total 3 ways, by which one can get a GMC registration.

1. By passing the PLAB (which is given after completion of primary medical qualification)
  2. By passing the MRCP ( which is given after completion of your post graduation)
  3. Via a sponsorship program(medical training initiative)
5 Likes

To expand a bit on what @Gayatri said, there is a fourth pathway now which many international doctors can take.

• Having selected licensing exams of other countries completed.

The exams include USMLE, AMC, MCCQE. And very importantly, it is retroactive.

• For USMLE, you have to have already passed Step 2 CS before March 13, 2020.
  • For AMC, you have to have passed the clinical examinations before March 5, 2020.
  • For MCCQE, you have to have completed part 2 in English before October 27, 2020.

If anyone completes any of these or equivalent exams NOW, they won’t be deemed eligible for GMC registration.

Read a bit in detail on the process here- GMC registration via USMLE, MCCQE or AMC.

2 Likes

Another way to get GMC registered is by holding a relevant European qualification.

It means that if someone finished their medical school in Europe and holds a medical qualification awarded in the EEA, can get either provisional or full registration via this route without PLAB.

I’ve attached here this link where you can check every county in the EU to see what evidence is needed.
Here is the link💗

The qualifications still need to be EPIC verified and accompanied by IELTS exam proof. :hugs:

4 Likes

I got citizenship in Poland in year 2020 and licence to practice in Poland
I have graduated in Philippines
Can I apply for eea pathway for gmc registration
Thanks

Hi @Doctor_prabhu!

As I’ve previously said, your primary medical qualification is from Philippines which is not in the EU, so this pathway is not available, unfortunately.

https://forum.roadtouk.com/t/criteria-for-acceptable-primary-medical-qualification-pmq/60/4?u=rozemaryvijdiac

There are other routes to get registered.
Please let me know if you need any further guidance in this regard.

1 Like

Can you suggest other routes because I want to transfer to uk
Thanks

You should start reading the GMC guidelines which you can find on their official website. Anything that there is to know it written there. Start here

You can choose between the PLAB exam or any postgraduate qualification, just as MRCP, MRCEM depending on the speciality you have chosen until now. Here is a list of all the acceptable postgraduate qualifications.

Like I’ve previously said, you can find all the info about getting registered on the GMCs website.