🤔 How can an IMG join UKFP?

This is a very commonly asked question and there are so much of misinformation out there, so I thought why don’t I clarify this is a little bit?

What is UKFP?

UKFP stands for United Kingdom Foundation Program. Unlike many countries, in the UK, you don’t automatically get an internship post right after you graduate from your university in the affiliated hospital. The medical internship in the UK is run by an organization called UKFPO (Foundation Programme Org), who works with NHS (of all four nations in the UK) and creates posts for the said internship, foundation programme.

UKFPO runs different types of foundation programmes/training:

A UK medical graduate will have to go through the recruitment process to get into any of the 2 year foundation programmes (UKFP being the most common). Much of the process for them can be done while they are still in the medical school, but this may not be the case for all international graduates. We’ll expand on this.

Can I join UKFP?

Now, I want you to ask yourself the following questions…

• Are you graduating from a medical school which is listed in WDOMS?
  • Will you be graduating from your institution without completing an internship?
  • Are you eligible to obtain Provisional GMC registration? (in any way)

If your answer to these questions are YES, then it is highly likely that you will be able to join 2 year foundation training in the UK. Watch this video to get a clearer idea:

Do I need PLAB?

Here is where it becomes different for majority of the IMGs to the UK/EEA graduates. PLAB is a licensing exam for GMC registration. It is one of the several ways you can have that. Also, note that if you are already eligible for Full GMC registration (by virtue of anything) then UKFP

Please remember, getting into UKFP and getting GMC registration (provisional) is NOT THE SAME PROCESS.

You can get GMC provisional registration by the following ways:

If you get GMC Provisional Registration via REQ, you are not required to take PLAB.

If you have to take PLAB, then you see you won’t be able to do anything until you actually graduate (unlike the UK/EEA medical students)! Because you can not take PLAB while you are still a medical student.

Know more about the other exams in this pathway from this video:

Do I need to hold my country’s registration to get into UKFP?

Plain and simple, no. If you pursue an internship to get your country’s license (which I think you’ll have to), that makes you ineligible for UKFP. :man_shrugging:t2:

I need to discuss more…

You can always book a personalised guidance session with either me or Dr Ibreez to discuss you case in detail and chalk up a complete timeline for you to join UKFP.

Otherwise, reply to this topic if you have any questions. Good Luck!

3 Likes

Firstly, Thank you for all the information you provide to us.
I have watched most of your videos.
I have a doubt regarding UKFP
I am an Indian citizen, and a 5th year medical student from Ukraine. As much i understood about UKFP, one can apply for UKFP without completing the degree, but will have to complete the degree before starting the UKFP. And as you said, PLAB 1 & 2 is required to start UKFP. And one can only give PLAB after completion of the degree. So, my query is that…
I will be getting my medical degree in June 2023 and i want to start my internship , ie UKFP from August 2023
So, how can i complete PLAB 1 and 2 till August 2023?

Or is it not possible for me to start UKFP in August 2023?

Thank you for reading my query.