IELTS academic or UKVI

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:Which exam should we prefer, IELTS academic or UKVI IELTS???
Do we need the IELTS exam results in order to get our tier 2 visa???
Could you please explain difference between both the exams??? And which is better?

5 Likes

IELTS is a test which tests your command over the English language by testing four skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking.

On the difference;
The pattern of the exam is exactly the same. The only differences are that the UKVI version costs a little more, it has increased camera surveillance and is held less often.

On which one to take;
This is a personal choice. If you take IELTS UKVI Academic, you will not have to take IELTS again. If you take IELTS Academic, you will have to take IELTS UKVI Academic later on as well

Uses of IELTS;
You need IELTS Academic or IELTS UKVI Academic with at least 7.0 in each of the four areas and an overall score of at least 7.5 to:

1. Qualify for PLAB 1
  2. Quality for GMC registration
  3. Qualify for Tier2 (general) visa
  4. Qualify for foundation programme
2 Likes

This is not true!

IELTS UKVI is no longer needed for ANYTHING. It was previously needed for Tier 2 visa application but now having GMC registration is enough.

For GMC registration you only need IELTS Academic or OET (Medicine).

9 Likes

I guess @ibrahimivan has already debunked about rewriting IELTS academic if you take the UKVI. Now I will go on further to state that, the IELTS scores required for Foundation is higher than what is needed for PLABs and GMC registration. i.e you will need 7.5 in each section of IELTS to qualify for Foundation program.

7 Likes

Hi there @ibrahimivan last week I made the IELTS for UKVI Academic with an overall score of 8.0 but I had a 6.5 in writing. You think there is any chance I can register to the GMC or I have to take the IELTS again?
Listening 8.5
Reading 8.5
Writing 6.5
Speaking 8.0