Improving our CV for future jobs

Hi there! Nice meeting you!
Since we all are final year medical students, finding ways to tailor our CV while we’re still in our home countries so it becomes more attractive is one of our main concerns. What do you think are the best ways to do that and how can we prepare for our first roles as doctors?
Thank you so much!

5 Likes

Great question!

I think this is where generally IMGs lack behind when they are competing against UK/EEA grads for getting into specialty training jobs. Because home grads have an overall idea what needs to be done to get those points in training application.

I will write a general guideline here but be mindful that things do get added to the list as per specialty that you are trying to get in.

• Leadership/Management experience is something you can nurture when you are still at medical school. Get involved in any sort of student organization/club or charity or anything where your role is to organize and manage a group of people. Get a letter or certificate from the authority stating your involvement in that organization. There you have something for your CV.

• Clinical Audits or QIP is another thing that you can do. It doesn’t have to be a monumental change. The exercise is what counts. Find ways how you can improve something → run a survey → collate the data → see what can be changed and make it happen. I know! It’s not that easy it sounds. But get a basic idea from here - Audits and QIPs in NHS.

• Publications or involvement in research is also something that will universally help you in your training application.

• Experience in Teaching doesn’t have to be always formal. If you organize and run a study group for junior students in your university which is recognized by the professor/university- a letter stating your involvement in regular teaching will help. That being said, this can easily be done when you are an intern.

• Proving commitment to a specialty is mostly shown by your involvement in that specialty. For example, if you are applying for core surgical training, having MRCS (part A) completed is a good commitment. Same goes for internal medicine training with MRCP. Other things can include doing relevant courses, attending relevant conferences.

• Presentations also help in your CV. The points go higher as it goes from local, national to international event. Any presentation that you do in your school or department is a local presentation.

Nothing else comes to mind now. I’ll edit later on if I want to add anything.

Another trick is doubling or tripling up one thing. For example, you have done a QIP (:white_check_mark:) then gave a presentation (:white_check_mark:) about that and then got it published (:white_check_mark:) in a journal.

Good luck!

7 Likes

Just to add another thing…

For non-training jobs, yes all the things I said on my previous post do apply but to be frank, they are more focussed on whether you have the clinical expertise to get that job done.

Because the trust is not hiring you to train you (unlike a training job), they are hiring you to get service from you.

So, if you have the option after med school complete an acceptable pattern of internship and right after get involved in clinical work to increase your chances of getting a non-training job in the NHS.

Once you get a non-training job (given you have Full GMC registration), then you focus more on the things mentioned above to increase your chances to get into a training job.

5 Likes

Hello everyone!
I would like to ask about this clinical experience. As you start after internship, which you have done in your country, what kind of things you should know? What are the practical skills which are required from no-training (equivalent FY2) doctor or Junior Clinical Fellow to be able to get the job done?

4 Likes

Hello Doctor! Where do international exchange experiences fall in the CV? I have been selected to 2 exchanges through IFMSA ( International Federation of Medical Students Associations) - one professional (which will be like a one month rotation in a department of my choice), and one research exchange (where I will be assisting a doctor with their research work and will receive a certificate at the end) to 2 different countries. These aren’t the typical clerkships, they are competitive spots that we got into. Surely it should help with the CV… But I’m confused as to what domain this will fall under.

1 Like