NonEU(eg Ukraine) graduate in the foundation year program

Hello. Please is there anyone here that completed or is currently doing the foundation training in the UK after completing medical school in Ukraine or any other non EU country in Europe? Please can u tell me how easy it was to get into the program and what challenges you faced. Thank you

Hello, I’m a final year medical student studying in Ukraine, I haven’t graduated yet but I know the process of applying for the UKFPO.

You would need to complete the IELTS/OET, once you’ve successfully completed it either an overall score of 7.5 (at least 7 in each category) then you will be able to take plab one and 2 and continue on to getting registered with the GMC, with a provisional license, if your school didn’t offer a pre graduation internship certificate.

The application window for the UKFPO opens around the start of July and closes at the end of July, but you would need to look on their website for exact dates. You will be applying for the following years foundation programme.

4 Likes

Hello Danielle can one apply for FY1 without prior one year internship? I mean because my medical school does not offer a complete 1 year internship.

Hello! :sparkles:

As mentioned by Danielle, you’ll need provisional registration in order to be eligible for FY1. The GMC state you can apply for provisional registration if you hold an acceptable primary medical qualification, have passed PLAB but not completed an internship.

You can read about it here :wink:

Hello Danielle,

my name is Segun, its so lovely to see someone who just graduated from Ukraine on this platform.

I am in my final year and I would like to apply for the UKFPO next year June when the eligibility window opens. I would be done with med school in June 2023. I am quite worried because ever since the war started I have been studying online. would this be a red flag to the GMC when considering me for eligibility please? my school is one of those accepted in the World directory of medical schools.

Hello everyone please this can be answered by anyone, I would appreciate any advice

Hello, I haven’t graduated yet, I’m still a final year medical student hoping to do the exact same thing as you. I’m hoping we won’t have problems, but we basically have to wait and see at this point.