Where can I do an Internship?

Hello, my name is Danielle. I am a final year medical student studying at a Ukrainian medical school. After watching Dr Ibreez’ videos on Internships, I’m determined to make a plan for after medical school, as I don’t want to have to wait a year or 2 to start work as a doctor. My school doesn’t offer a pre-graduate internship, so I would have to do an internship in another country or wait to join the UKFP. As alot of my schooling is online because of the ongoing war, I was looking into doing an internship in my final year, but I have been struggling to find one.

At the moment, I am working nights as a medical technician, whilst having classes in the day time to finish my degree. My question is, does anyone know where I can do a pre or post graduate internship, so that I don’t have to potentially wait 2 years to start work as a doctor? I’ve planned to take the IELTs or the OET this January, and I have been studying for the plab so that I can take it as soon as possible after medical school. I don’t want to waste time and I’m kind of stuck on ideas on what to do.

2 Likes

Hello @AspiringDr!

Congrats on finishing medical school! It seems like you’re a really hardworking person and I’m so sorry about the situation in Ukraine.

About your question, it really depends on where you’d like to move/ live. A lot of countries in Europe offer internships. You can choose one and see their requirements for applying. Make sure it will be accepted by the GMC beforehand.

As you’ve said, you can always apply for the UKFP, which is a great choice if you want to continue your career in the UK.

Good luck with your journey and don’t hesitate to come back if you need anything. :hugs::cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me, the UK is definitely my goal for my career. I never knew other European countries offered internships, I’ll look into that now. I just got wanted options and to know I wouldn’t have to wait 2 years to start work as a doctor :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @AspiringDr !
After choosing where you want to go. you need to make sure your internship checks all of the following items:

1. It is at least 12 months in terms of duration,
    2.In the first year, you must not have been absent for more than 20 days
  2. You must have spent at least three months practising in medicine and three months practising in surgery.

After completing IELTS and both PLABs you should have no problem applying to GMC registration

Good luck!

1 Like

May I know which Europe countries offer internship without sitting for their licensing exams?
Currently I am doing a compulsory pre graduate internship in China. I will be graduating in December 2022. I have finished PLAB 1 and PLAB 2 . PLAB 2 will expire in October 2023. Thank you so much .

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.