Fellowship courses before GMC registration

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if doing a fellowship course recognized by the NHS is helpful in securing a job and if I should invest in it. The course is supposed to be in my own country.
It is a one year course and I will have to do it while working and studying for PLAB.

Is it a good idea to do it?

NHS is a government health service. It doesn’t recognize any fellowship or any training.

Training is chalked out by the respective Royal Colleges (who holds the power to accredit anything) and imparted by local training boards (like Health Education of England).

So this fellowship of yours, if it is accredited by the respective Royal College and is guaranteed that the competencies you achieve there will be transferred (thus reduce the time of training) when you get into a program in the UK, only then it makes sense. (Which I think unlikely!)

And to note, training/residency/fellowship in the UK does not cost you any money, you get paid. So, if this fellowship costs you money why on earth will you pursue it rather than finishing required exams and coming to the UK asap?

Thank you for helping me clear this out. I actually do not personally know anyone who has done this so I looked for guidance here.
Yes, it does seem skeptical to me too, especially because I thought that if it was easy to get into a programme that had no application process or entrance exam then everyone would do it…
But do you think I’ll need to do something extra like an additional diploma, or give part of the Royal College exams to stand a chance at securing a job?
Because everyone on online platforms says it’s difficult to get a non-training job as a junior doctor because it’s very competitive. Should I instead focus on giving the MSRA and directly entering training though I imagine it’ll be pretty stressful?

I am so sorry for bombarding you with questions like this :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Securing a job isn’t hard. It’s a sad truth but most people do not put effort into applying for jobs. Blindly using a cookie-cutter CV and cover letter, or not reading properly the requirements of the job isn’t going to land a job for anybody. You have to be diligent and make a mark when you apply. NHS is still massively short staffed but that doesn’t mean they will hire just anyone.