Gap between graduation and internship start?

Thanks for establishing this forum, R2UK! I recently passed PLAB1 this past November and I’m planning out PLAB2 preparation. One concern I have is that I haven’t yet completed an internship. I completed medical school on June 26, 2020 (date of passing final cumulative Revalida) but will be starting internship in a few weeks time, Feb 1, 2022. This is about a 19 month gap. Will this gap between completing medical school and internship be a problem in obtaining GMC registration?

1 Like

For your internship to get accepted, GMC asks for it to happen immediately after graduation.

You will be asked to provide accounts for why there was a gap in between your graduation and internship and unfortunately no one else other than GMC can guide you regarding what will happen.

And even more frustrating thing is, GMC will not be able to guide you properly unless you finally apply for registration.

There can be two outcomes:

1. GMC takes your explanation into consideration and asks for further evidence to support your internship and finally accepts it.

2. GMC doesn’t accept your internship and asks you to apply for provisional registration. (which will allow to apply gor UKFP)

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your quick reply, Ibrahim!

Truth be told, I’m a bit more anxious now with the knowledge that GMC may not recognize the internship program I’m about to start in just a few weeks. I agree fully that it’s frustrating not being able to have guidance directly from GMC before undertaking this year long endeavor overseas (I’m from the USA but did my medical school in the Philippines where I’ll be returning to complete the internship).

Have you and Ibreez ever come across any fellow colleagues that have had a similar situation and were successful (or not) in gaining registration?

We have come across individuals who had more than a year gap between graduation and internship but they had to provide extensive proof of their internship with the GMC provided forms.

And to be honest, if you take PLAB exams to apply for registration and the internship itself is continuous and fills all other criteria and you explain your circumstances well, there is a good chance it will be accepted.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I appreciate your reply, Ibrahim. I’ll update this thread in 12 to 18 months time once I complete internship / PLAB2 and apply for full registration with the GMC. I hope I find success! Thank you for all of time and guidance you provide via your platform.

3 Likes

Hello doctor :slight_smile:
Currently I am in a similar predicament (with at least 2 years gap since graduation), and am considering applying for an internship in my university (overseas). Will be looking forward to your updates.
Best of luck to both of us and whoever is reading this thread!

1 Like

Hey Alice,

Thanks for checking in. I decided not to do my overseas university’s internship at this moment because I felt I should focus on entering the Foundation Programme instead to which I’m applying now. It is indeed possible to gain full registration even with a two plus year gap however you’d be entering an appeals process immediately with the GMC upon application for registration. If the appeals process fails you’d be granted provisional licensure which means you’d be forced to either apply for the Foundation Programme or apply again later after completing an additional year working as a doctor abroad since you need two full years (internship + one year documented working) to gain full registration with the GMC.