Postgraduate Qualification for Registration

Hello! I would greatly appreciate it if somebody can help answer my query or share their experiences if they have been in a similar situation.

If a doctor completes the MRCS exam (passed both part A and B), which is equivalent to an acceptable postgraduate qualification, but does not have an acceptable internship pattern according to GMC’s standards (i.e., 12 months continuous medical practice or 2 years continuous postgraduate medical practice), are they able to gain full GMC registration?

https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/join-the-register/before-you-apply/acceptable-postgraduate-qualifications
From my understanding, based on what GMC has published in their website, it seems possible? :thinking:

Hi Alice! AFAIK yes it is possible to get a full registration. PGQ does not overlap with PLAB requirements and GMC registration. Goodluck! xx

Thank you very much for responding, Tasneem. Does it mean a valid internship or postgraduate work experience is not required when registering using a postgraduate qualification?

Not sure about PG experience, but please double-check with GMC regarding this. Internship should not matter if you have sufficient PGQ.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.