Subspecialty training in fetal medicine (required exams)

I already have a diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics in my country and have been working as a general obstetrician for 3 years.

Now I want to apply for a Maternal and Fetal Medicine subspecialty training in the UK (or any other subspecialty offered by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists).

  • Do I need to take an exam like PLAB or MRCOG?
  • Do I need to register with the GMC before training as I want to work in my country after completing the course?

-If I want to work in the UK afterwards, once I have completed the subspecialty training programme, will I receive a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) and will I be eligible to join the Specialist Register in the UK?

Thanks for the question. It seems you’re interested in a subspecialty in Ob/Gyn that’s done as fellowship that is post your training. I’m not 100% sure but do check about that. If that is the case, then I’m afraid no. You’ll need to finish specialty training or have the competences and have passed your all parts of MRCOG.