Working as a Dermatologist

Hi ,
I have done my MBBS in India and also have completed MD Dermatology successfully. what are my options to practice medicine as a Doctor in UK.
Should I write MRCP or are there any other exams to clear so, I can work as a Dermatologist in UK.

Becoming a dermatologist in the UK after completing an MBBS in India requires a few key steps and qualifications. Firstly, it is important to note that in the UK, becoming a dermatologist requires obtaining membership with the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) and completing Speciality Training in Dermatology. To achieve MRCP, you will need to pass the Part 1 and Part 2 written exams, as well as the Practical Assessment of Clinical Examination Skills (PACES) exam.

In addition to these qualifications, you will also need to complete Core Medical Training (CMT) and apply for a Dermatology Speciality Training (ST3) program through the National Health Service (NHS). Generally, competition for these programs is high and requires a strong academic record and relevant work experience.

It is also important to note that for international medical graduates (IMGs), including those from India, additional requirements and regulations apply. This includes obtaining a General Medical Council (GMC) registration and passing the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.

Overall, becoming a dermatologist in the UK after completing an MBBS in India requires significant dedication and effort. However, with careful planning and hard work, it is possible to achieve this goal and pursue a rewarding career in dermatology.

1 Like

Hi, congratulations on completing your MBBS and MD Dermatology in India. To practice medicine as a doctor in the UK, you will need to join the General Medical Council (GMC) register for a licence to practise1. You will also need to provide evidence of your primary medical qualification, skills and capabilities, and English language proficiency1.

To work as a dermatologist in the UK, you will need to apply for specialty training in dermatology after completing the foundation programme. The foundation programme is a two-year general training programme that all medical graduates must undertake in the UK2. You can apply for the foundation programme through the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) website3.

Alternatively, you may be eligible to apply for registration with a licence to practise via the GMC’s sponsorship route if you have an approved postgraduate qualification in dermatology from India. This route is for doctors who have completed their specialty training outside the UK and have been awarded a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or an equivalent qualification by an authority that we recognise. You will need to find a GMC-approved sponsor who can confirm your competence and fitness to practise in the UK.

You do not need to take the MRCP exam to work as a dermatologist in the UK, unless you want to pursue further training or qualifications in internal medicine. The MRCP exam is a postgraduate medical diploma that assesses core medical knowledge and skills. It is not a requirement for dermatology training, but it may be helpful for your career development or academic interests